The organ program at Interlochen offers an intensive three-week immersion experience for grades 6-9. The small, close-knit nature of the department enables daily interaction with faculty. Students practice on one of nine practice instruments located in the organ building or on the 50-rank Reuter concert instrument located in Dendrinos Chapel and Recital Hall. Qualified students may also perform in one of the weekly organ recitals. Inexperienced organists with a strong piano background are encouraged to apply.
- Private organ lessons are given weekly.
- Private piano lessons are given weekly.
- Dedicated practice time is available on days when no lesson is scheduled.
- Organ master class includes studio class, meetings with guest artists, coached practicing and work in church service playing.
- Piano skills class helps students develop a strong technical foundation.
- Two additional electives (see elective options)
How to Apply
- Prepare the materials listed below.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your audition materials online.
Audio or Video Files 1 and 2: Two solo works of contrasting style. There is no required repertoire for intermediate applicants but the audition should demonstrate the applicant’s overall ability.
Inexperienced organists with a strong piano background are encouraged to apply. Admission eligibility will be determined on the combined merits of the piano and organ selections.