The Interlochen Viola Institute for grades 9-12 will feature an intensive week of orchestral, solo and technique master classes with an outstanding artist faculty. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in the Institute's viola ensemble, a mock orchestral audition and perform on a student recital.
A sample day of the institute will include designated practice and viola ensemble rehearsal time, technique, orchestral and solo repertoire classes, and scheduled activities to promote team building in the beautiful woods of northern Michigan.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application
- Prepare the audition requirements listed below and upload them to https://app.decisiondesk.com/clients/interlochenarts/apply
Please submit a video recording of the following:
- one movement from a standard viola concerto, sonata or equivalent work'
- two movements of contrasting movements from one of Bach's unaccompanied Cello Suites.
For those wishing to participate in the Lynne Ramsey orchestral master class and mock audition, please prepare two excerpts from the following list:
- Berlioz "Roman Carnival Overture" measures 36-60
- Beethoven Symphony No.5 second movement, beginning to measure 10 and measures 49-59
- Mozart Symphony No.35 (Haffner) first movement, measures 13-35;
- Mendelssohn Scherzo letter C to letter D.
Students are welcome to attend this one-week institute, and then continue on in the six-week orchestra summer program, which immediately follows (a separate audition is required).
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a viola major for grades 9-12, as well as a post-graduate year.