Paula Robinson, an American flutist who has appeared as a soloist with the New York Philharmonic and co-founded the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center, was welcomed as a guest instructor at the Summer Flute Institute at Interlochen Arts Camp 2012.
The flute institute provides an opportunity for flutists to spend a week of intensive study with a distinguished faculty of performers and teachers. Students participate in daily master classes focusing on solo repertoire and orchestral excerpts.
- Daily master classes focus on artistry, technical skills, and holistic musicianship
- Warm-up and practice technique workshops
- Stretching and Pilates for flutists
- Flute chamber music ensembles
- Student and faculty performances
How to Apply
- Prepare the audition materials listed below.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your audition materials online.
Audio or video file #1: Mozart Concerto in G or D, exposition of movements 1 and 2 (with piano)
Audio or video file #2: Any one of the following pieces, with piano accompaniment:
- Griffes - Poem
- Handel - Sonata in g minor
- Faure - Fantasie
Audio or video file #3: Etude of your choice
Audio or video file #4: Orchestral excerpts, major solos only:
- Brahms - Symphony No. 4, movement 4 and
- Beethoven - Leonore Overture No. 3
Students interested in a multi-week, ensemble-based program are invited to also apply to the high school summer orchestra and wind symphony program, which begins immediately after this one-week institute.
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a flute major for grades 9-12, as well as a post-graduate year.