Students in the Advanced String Quartet program also perform with the World Youth Symphony Orchestra (WYSO) or the Interlochen Philharmonic.
The Advanced String Quartet Program provides an opportunity for students in grades 9-12 to focus on the art of quartet playing. Students will be pushed to expand their artistic understanding of string quartet repertoire.
Students in the quartet program will spend each morning performing in the World Youth Symphony Orchestra (WYSO) or Interlochen Philharmonic (IP). After lunch, they will spend the remainder of day in string quartet rehearsal and coaching. In addition to daily coaching, guest artists will work with the quartets over the summer. Guests over the past few years have included Joel Smirnoff, Avalon String Quartet, Emerson String Quartet, Pacifica String Quartet, Parker String Quartet, and Turtle Island String Quartet.
- Students participate in daily quartet rehearsals and coachings.
- Students participate in daily orchestra rehearsals and weekly concerts.
- Students have dedicated practice time.
- Enrollment is limited to sixteen students, comprising four quartets. (Pre-formed quartets will not be accepted as a group).
- Students work with faculty in weekly private lessons and daily quartet coaching.
- Masterclasses with guest artists and quartets-in-residence.
Due to the intensity of the program, Advanced String Quartet Program students are not able to select additional electives courses.
In addition to the string quartets, students in this program rehearse and perform with either the World Youth Symphony Orchestra or the Interlochen Philharmonic.
The World Youth Symphony Orchestra (watch video) and the Interlochen Philharmonic are the country’s leading orchestral experiences for advanced high school students. The faculty includes preeminent instructors who have extensive experience with major symphony orchestras. Repertoire is chosen from traditional and contemporary masterpieces as well as other influential genres. The orchestra programs regularly feature some of the greatest artists in the world. Recent guest soloists include Yo-Yo Ma, Jennifer Koh, Joshua Bell, Awadagin Pratt and many more.
The large ensembles have 6 major performances throughout the summer, for which students rehearse three hours a day. Performance venues include the 3,900 seat Kresge Auditorium, the 950 seat Corson Auditorium, the open-air historic Interlochen Bowl, and Dendrinos Chapel and Recital Hall.
- Video or audio file #1: Choose one movement from a piece listed in the suggested audition repertoire list (see bottom of this page), or choose a piece of comparable difficulty. Selections of contrasting style, and piano accompaniment when appropriate, are recommended. Percussionists should demonstrate skills on each of the following: snare drum, mallet instruments and timpani.
- Video or audio file #2: Choose one movement from an additional piece.
- Video or audio file #3: Prepare one major and one minor scale.
- A short resume listing your string quartet experience.
Applicants to the Advanced String Quartet program are strongly encouraged to submit video. To be considered for the Emerson Scholars program, applicants must submit video auditions, by February 1, 2014.
Helpful tip: place the microphone about six feet from your instrument.
All Advanced String Quartet applicants who apply by February 1, 2014, are considered for the Emerson Scholars Program, which provides up to full-tuition scholarships. Only the scholarship winners will be notified.
Students may also be eligible for other need-based and merit-based financial aid.
Interlochen offers a separate concerto competition for High School and Intermediate divisions. Winners in the High School division will perform with one of the division’s orchestras or wind symphony. Concerto competition details >>
String players may also be interested in the following one-week institutes, which will be held the week before the six-week Advanced String Quartet program:
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers an instrumental music major for grades 9-12.