2020 World Youth Symphony Orchestra Conductors (from top left to bottom right): Christian Reif, Larry Rachleff, Cristian Măcelaru, JoAnn Falletta, Gemma New, Jung-Ho Pak
Learn more about Interlochen's high school ensembles.
Take a behind-the-scenes look at Interlochen's flagship ensemble, the World Youth Symphony Orchestra.
Meet Interlochen Arts Camp's inaugural Artistic Director and Principal Conductor of the World Youth Symphony Orchestra, Cristian Măcelaru.
Musicians in the 2020 World Youth Symphony Orchestra at Interlochen Arts Camp will spend their summer working with the following six conductors. Each conductor will spend several days on campus working with the orchestra before conducting a Sunday evening performance on the stage of Kresge Auditorium.
The 2020 guest conductors and their performance dates are:
- July 5, 2020 - Christian Reif, Resident Conductor, San Francisco Symphony; Music Director, San Francisco Symphony Youth Orchestra
- July 12, 2020 - Larry Rachleff, Music Director, Rhode Island Philharmonic; Director of Orchestras, Rice University
- July 19, 2020 - Cristian Măcelaru, newly appointed Artistic Director and Principal Conductor of World Youth Symphony Orchestra; Music Director Designate, Orchestre National de France; Chief Conductor, WDR Sinfonieorchester; Music Director and Conductor, Cabrillo Festival of Contemporary Music
- July 26, 2020 - JoAnn Falletta, Music Director, Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and the Virginia Symphony Orchestra
- Aug. 2, 2020 - Gemma New, Music Director, Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra; Resident Conductor, St. Louis Symphony Orchestra; Music Director, St. Louis Symphony Youth Orchestra; Principal Guest Conductor, Dallas Symphony Orchestra
- Aug. 9, 2020 (“Les Préludes”) - Jung-Ho Pak, Artistic Director and Conductor, Cape Cod Symphony Orchestra
|Inquire about 2020 Music Programs||Explore 2020 Music Programs|
Highlights from the 2020 World Youth Symphony Orchestra repertoire were recently announced. The full repertoire, as well as the repertoires for all of our summer orchestral and wind symphony ensembles, will be announced at a later date.
Applications for all Interlochen Arts Camp programs are now open. For more information on the application process, contact Interlochen’s Office of Admission and Financial Aid at 800.681.5912 or 231.276.7472 or email@example.com.