Spend your summer under the direction of esteemed conductors, tackling challenging repertoire carefully chosen for musicians in grades 6-9. During your time here, you will grow as a musician and artist, and experience the joy of performing with fellow young musicians from around the world.
Students in the three-week strings for orchestra program perform with one of the two large ensembles:
- In the Intermediate Symphony Orchestra (view 2019 repertoire; 2020 repertoire coming soon) you will perform challenging, full orchestra and string orchestra repertoire.
- As part of the Intermediate Concert Orchestra (view 2019 repertoire; 2020 repertoire coming soon) string orchestra, you will further develop technique and ensemble skills.
In this program you will experience:
- Daily orchestra rehearsals, including two sectionals per week.
- One period of chamber music/performance skills each day, which gives you a chance to work in small ensembles with coaching. The purpose of this class is to help you to develop small ensemble performance techniques and improve musicianship skills. Those needing extra help in basic and essential skills will be given additional instruction during this period. Students are placed in groups of similar experience levels.
- Weekly private lessons with a member of our distinguished faculty and dedicated practice time on days when no lesson is scheduled.
- Round out your experience with two elective classes. Choose from other music classes, or use the opportunity to explore another art form.