If you are a serious classical double bassist, our one-week double bass institute is an outstanding opportunity to focus on expanding your skills and technique, guided by an accomplished faculty of performers and educators.
The goal of this program is to help prepare you for further classical double bass study, in high school and beyond. designed for motivated double bassists in grades 9-12, this program's topics include:
- Essentials of orchestral playing
- How to practice efficiently and effectively
- Warm-up and other routines
- Essentials of solo playing
- Chamber music - small ensemble playing
- Anatomy of a double bass
- Set-up and care of the instrument
- Heroes and methods of the instrument
- Specific techniques; shifting, vibrato, bow strokes
- Private lessons
- Mock auditions
Each summer, the double bass institute faculty includes performers and educators from major symphony orchestras, colleges, and the Interlochen Arts Academy.