Our six-week repertory theatre production program is an outstanding summer opportunity for serious young actors. During your time here, you will experience a complete immersion in acting and life in the theatre. You will participate in a company ensemble to produce a large-cast play from classical or contemporary repertoire, with full design and technical support.
In 2012, Ken Ludwig, two-time Olivier Award-winning playwright, spent two weeks with students as they worked on a production of his play Midsummer/Jersey.
Henry V, summer 2014
44 Plays for 44 Presidents, summer 2013
Midsummer/Jersey, summer 2012
Jane Eyre, summer 2011
This is a pre-professional theatre training program, designed for experienced actors in grades 9-12. The session culminates with a five performance run of the production, performed in Harvey Theatre (view virtual tour). The summer 2015 production will be Failure: A Love Story, by Philip Dawkins.
Recent productions include:
- Henry V by William Shakespeare
- 44 Plays for 44 Presidents by Chicago's Neo-Futurists
- Midsummer/Jersey by Ken Ludwig
- Jane Eyre by Robert Johanson, based on the novel by Charlotte Bronte.
- Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare
- Production rehearsal
- Acting technique class
- Theatre topics class (this may include stage combat, acting for the camera, viewpoints, or other important areas within the acting discipline)
Interlochen offers students the opportunity to study with some of the top artists and educators in the field. The theatre department regularly welcomes visiting artists. Recent guests of the department include:
- Anthony Rapp (Rent, Little Shop of Horrors)
- Barrett Foa (NCIS:LA, Avenue Q, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Mamma Mia!)
- Kevin Chamberlin (Seussical, The Addams Family)
- Heather Headley (The Lion King, Aida)
- Mary Beth Hurt (Crimes of the Heart, The World According to Garp)
- Erin Dilly (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Into the Woods)
- Stephen Buntrock (Les Miserables)
In 2012, we were fortunate to spend two weeks with playwright and director Ken Ludwig (Midsummer/Jersey, Lend Me a Tenor, Moon Over Buffalo, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Leading Ladies, An American in Paris, Crazy for You and many more). Watch the video.
Video file #1: Contemporary monologue, less than two minutes in length, from a published play.
Video file #2: One monologue from Shakespeare that is less than two minutes in length.
Students with interests in scenery, costumes, lighting, stage management, etc. are invited to apply for the six-week theatre design and production summer program.
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a performance-based acting major for grades 9-12, as well as a post-graduate year.