Students in the six-week theatre design and production summer program get hands-on experience in all aspects of production including costume, set, lighting and sound design. Working under the supervision of professional faculty and staff, students will have the opportunity to concentrate on their primary area of interest while developing a variety of other design skills. Students will utilized the variety of specialized work and performance spaces housed in Interlochen's theatre complex.
Students take the lead in designing a fully-realized show, an experience that culminates as their work is showcased in a live performance. Applicants with a limited portfolio are encouarged to apply.
Throughout this six-week program, students will participate in:
- Fundamentals of Design
- Theatre lab work
- Design Studio
- An apprenticeship program
- One addional elective class
Venues include Corson Auditorium and Harvey Theatre. The program is also supported by the 5,600-square-foot, fully equipped Harvey scene shop and the Mallory Costume Shop, which houses a 15,000 piece collection and a 4,500-square-foot workroom.
How to Apply
- Prepare the materials listed below.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your audition materials online.
- PDF file #1: A detailed outline of previous production experience and technical knowledge.
- PDF files #2-5: Images of your designs, constructions or fabrications, as well as examples of related artistic skills.
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a theatre design and production major for grades 9-12, as well as a post-graduate year.