Designed for highly skilled and motivated string players in grades 3-6, the advanced strings program is an excellent opportunity to push the boundaries of your abilities. You will tackle challenging literature, receive extensive personal instruction, and perform with other passionate young musicians from around the world.
During your four weeks here, you will have a variety of rehearsals, classes, activities, and performances. Student participate in:
- The Junior String Orchestra, a large ensemble that rehearses two hours daily. The Junior String Orchestra has two public performances during the four-week session.
- Sectionals, music theory, and movement exercises are held on a rotating daily schedule.
- Weekly private lessons, with dedicated practice time on non-lesson days.
- Daily chamber music activities, in which you will participate in string quartets, and may also have the opportunity to audit master classes and receive coaching from renowned visiting guest artists.
- Practice hour, which provides additional daily practice time.
While students in the advanced strings program do not take elective classes, you will have many opportunities to enjoy presentations in music, dance, film, creative writing, theatre, and visual arts.
Prepare and record two works that represent your overall ability.
Submit these as two (2) video audition files containing one (1) work each. Examples for each instrument are listed below, but you are not limited to these choices. Piano accompaniment is preferred, but not required.
- Violin: Concerti by Bach, Mendelssohn, Mozart
- Viola: Concerti by Telemann, CPE Bach, or movements from the Bach Cello Suites
- Cello: Concerti by Golterman, Haydn, or movements from the Bach Cello Suites
Interlochen offers an honors recital competition for the junior division. Students in the advanced strings program are strongly encouraged to apply. Winners perform in an honors recital, which is held every other week. The competition requires a separate audition, and is due by May 22, 2015. Honors recital details.