The Intermediate Vocal Arts program for grades 6-9 focuses on developing the adolescent voice through solo, small vocal ensemble, and large choral experiences.
Vocal Arts majors study chamber vocal music in the Intermediate Vocal Arts Ensemble, studying literature appropriate for the adolescent voice. Students develop acting skills through Operetta Workshop. Vocal Arts majors also study music theory, solfege, IPA diction, and perform in master classes in Singer Skills and Class Voice. Students participate in multiple performances throughout the summer.
- Performances with the Intermediate Vocal Ensemble allow students to study advanced chamber vocal literature appropriate for young vocal artists. Students develop ensemble and musicianship skills through rehearsal and performance, singing a variety of literature, both a cappella and with piano.
- Class Voice allows students to study classical vocal technique in a group setting with members of voice faculty. Students will study IPA and diction, learn age-appropriate solo vocal literature, and perform in master classes.
- Singer Skills class focuses on development of musicianship and music literacy, through the study of music theory and solfege.
- Operetta Workshop includes the preparation of short operettta, allowing students to focus on acting in a solo and group context.
- One additional elective (see elective options)
Note: Private voice lessons are not available to Intermediate students.
Interlochen offers a separate concerto competition for High School and Intermediate divisions. Winners in the High School division will perform with one of the division’s orchestral or wind ensembles. Concerto competition details >>
How to Apply
- Prepare the materials listed below.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your audition materials online.
Video files 1 and 2: Select two audition pieces from the classical, art song or folk song vocal repertoire. There is no required repertoire for intermediate applicants, however the audition recording should demonstrate both technical and lyrical singing. Pieces should include piano accompaniment.