The Intermediate Symphony Orchestra and the Intermediate Concert Orchestra are exceptional training ensembles for students in grades 6-9. The Intermediate Symphony Orchestra offers an opportunity to perform challenging, full orchestra and string orchestra repertoire. The Intermediate Concert Orchestra provides a string orchestra experience for intermediate string players in which they develop technique and ensemble skills. The intermediate orchestras present two concerts per three-week session with repertoire that is carefully-chosen for this level.
Daily orchestra rehearsals are held in a three-hour block, including two sectionals per week. Performance venues include the 3,900 seat Kresge Auditorium, the 950 seat Corson Auditorium, and the open-air historic Interlochen Bowl.
One period of chamber music / performance skills each day gives students a chance to work in small ensembles for coaching and practice. The purpose of this class is to develop small ensemble performance techniques and improve the musicianship skills of developing instrumentalists. Those needing extra help in basic and essential skills will be given additional instruction during this period. Students will be placed in groups of similar experience levels.
Private lessons are given weekly.
Dedicated practice time is available on days when no lesson is scheduled.
One additional elective (see elective options).
How to Apply
- Prepare the materials listed below.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your audition materials online.
- Audio or video files #1 and #2: Two solo works of contrasting style. There is no required repertoire for intermediate applicants, however the audition recording should demonstrate both technical and lyrical playing. Piano accompaniment is preferred, but not required. Percussionists should demonstrate their skills on snare drum, mallet instruments and timpani.
- Audio or video file #3: Two major scales.
Interlochen offers a separate concerto competition for High School and Intermediate divisions. Winners in the High School division will perform with one of the division’s orchestral or wind ensembles. Concerto competition details >>