Interlochen piano students are surrounded by an encouraging community of artists, which provides the opportunity to achieve unparalleled musical growth. In this intensive program for grades 6-9, students interact daily with faculty and guest artists in master classes, private lessons and a variety of keyboard electives. They also develop sight-reading and functional keyboard skills, as well as collaborative piano skills. Each student receives private lessons with a member of our distinguished piano faculty.
- Private lessons are given weekly.
- Dedicated practice time is available on days when no lesson is scheduled.
- An additional daily practice hour is built into students’ schedules.
- Piano skills and performance strategies focus on developing functional keyboard skills through sight reading and ensembles, technique study and keyboard theory in a supportive small group setting.
- Piano hour is offered daily, featuring studio classes with piano faculty, master classes, recital hours and covering such topics as musician wellness and performance anxiety.
- Beginning organ, piano ensemble, piano seminar or beginning jazz piano fulfill the piano elective requirement. Students should indicate their preference as one of their elective options during enrollment.
- One additional elective (see elective options)
How to Apply
- Prepare the materials listed below.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your audition materials online.
Audio or video files #1 and #2: Two solo works of contrasting style. There is no required repertoire for intermediate applicants but the audition should demonstrate the applicant’s overall ability.
Interlochen offers a separate concerto competition for High School and Intermediate divisions. Winners in the High School division will perform with one of the division’s orchestral or wind ensembles. Concerto competition details >>
Advanced pianist may also be interested in in the six-week advanced piano summer program.