Interlochen's six-week vocal artist program is for the highly motivated classical singer. Voice students gain a breadth of experience through solo recital, opera workshop and studio opportunities, and receive college-level instruction in diction, musicianship, vocal literature and stage acting. The program emphasizes quality, personal growth and the joy of singing with a group of outstanding vocal musicians.
During this intensive, six-week immersion in classical vocal music, students participate in the following:
- Weekly private voice lessons and coachings that focus on advanced classical technique through voice-appropriate repertoire. Interlochen offers a world-class faculty, many of whom hold advanced degrees, teach at the college level, and/or are working professionals.
- Opera workshop class uses scenes tailored to the students’ ability and experience, culminating with public performances of prepared scenes at the end of the session.
- Performances with either the World Youth Honors Choir (view repertoire) or the Interlochen Singers (view repertoire) allow students to hone their ensemble and musicianship skills through extensive rehearsal and performance experience, including at least one major choral work with orchestra. Students also perform in opera scenes.
- Diction classes teach students techniques for singing and conveying texts clearly in English, Italian, German and French, through application of the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).
- Music theory, history and literature classes cover a wide-array of topics important to the young singer.
- Instruction in acting and stage movement helps students prepare for the challenges of dramatic presentations and enhances interpretive skills.
- Studio and honor recitals provide important experience in the art of recital comportment, song memorization and characterization, and recital artistry.
- Master classes with distinguished vocal artists complement the experience. Recent master class teachers include Nathan Gunn and Carmen Pelton, among others.
Interlochen offers a separate concerto competition for High School and Intermediate divisions. Winners in the High School division will perform with one of the division’s orchestras or wind symphony. Concerto competition details >>
How to Apply
- Prepare the audition materials listed below.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your audition materials online.
- Video files #1 and #2: select, memorize and record two classical music selections. No musical theatre pieces. Pieces should include piano accompaniment.
When You Arrive at Camp
Students will audition again after their arrival to campus and will be placed into the appropriate choral and operatic experience. Accepted students will be required to arrive at camp with three memorized performance-ready classical pieces, at least two of which should be in a language other than English.
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a vocal music major for grades 9-12, as well as a post-graduate year.