The Piano Institute offers students in grades 9-12 the opportunity of having masterclasses with guest artists John Perry and Ann Schein. In addition, students will have private lessons with Interlochen's piano faculty members Dr. T.J. Lymenstull and Dr. Michael Coonrod.
This summer, we welcome featured faculty members Dr. Michael Coonrod, Dr. T.J. Lymenstull, Ann Schein, and John Perry.
A special activity will be for up to eight students to play one of the following concerti with an orchestra for coaching:
- Bach: Concerto in D minor
- Bach: Concerto in F minor
- Mozart: Concerto in A Major, K. 414
Students wishing to be considered for this activity should include a movement from one of these concerti on their audition recording.
In addition to the activities described above, there will be guest artist recitals, faculty and student recitals, and classes in historic performance styles, piano technique, memorization, and movement with music. Several students may be invited to perform live on WIAA radio.
- A substantial work of the student's choice. Example: prelude & fugue, suite, ballade, scherzo, etc.
- Any etude by Chopin, Moszkowski, Liszt, Rachmaninoff, or Debussy
- A movement from a sonata by Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven.
- Students wishing to be considered for the concerto reading should include a movement from one of these concerti in lieu of the sonata.
Students are welcome to attend this one-week institute, and the continue on in the six-week piano summer program that immediately follows.
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a piano major for grades 9-12.