If you aspire to study piano at the college or conservatory level, our six-week piano summer program is an excellent opportunity to receive college-level instruction to help you achieve your goals. During your time here, you will focus on solo piano literature and the development of your collaborative performance skills, guided by an accomplished faculty of educators and performers.
At Interlochen, you will live and learn with fellow students from around the world who share your passion for music. Expand your knowledge and improve your abilities through daily literature, studio, performance, and master classes. In this supportive community of artists, you'll have access to hundreds of pianos throughout campus.
The summer piano program includes:
- Weekly private lessons with a member of the distinguished piano faculty.
- Daily classes that provide opportunities for piano majors to interact in a performance class, a group lesson, a studio class or a master class with faculty or guest artists. This class may also cover special topics such as early keyboard instruments, musician wellness, and performance anxiety.
- A variety of collaborative and solo performance opportunities. Collaborative experiences include chamber music with strings or winds, vocal and instrumental duos, performing as a member of a large ensemble, and a chance to develop sight-reading skills.
- Students may optionally take organ lessons, in addition to their weekly piano private lesson. In place of collaborative piano, these students will take music theory and participate in a daily organ seminar.
- Piano majors round out their experience with elective class options that may include: Piano Seminar, Beginning Organ, Beginning Jazz Piano, Piano Pedagogy 101, and Choir. Additional electives may be available.
Performance Venues and Opportunities
Performance venues include the 3,900-seat Kresge Auditorium, the 950-seat Corson Auditorium, the open-air historic Interlochen Bowl, and the beautiful Dendrinos Chapel and Recital Hall. Kresge Auditorium was recently named one of the ten best outdoor performance venues in the nation by USA Today.
Each large ensemble performs six concerts throughout the summer. There are also numerous quartet, chamber and solo recitals. Students may compete for the opportunity to perform a concerto with one of the high school division's full orchestras or wind symphony. Learn more about the concerto competition.
Students are encouraged to take advantage of the artistic diversity here at Interlochen, and enjoy presentations in theatre, music, dance, visual art, creative writing, and film. And each summer, we present an impressive lineup of world-renowned classical, jazz, and popular guest artists.
Audio or video files #1 and #2: Choose two representative solo works of contrasting style, demonstrating tone, technical facility and interpretation.
Jazz pianists are invited to apply for the three-week high school jazz summer program.
Students with an interest in organ are also invited to apply for the three-week high school organ summer program. Inexperienced organists with a strong piano background are welcome to apply.
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a piano major for grades 9-12, as well as a post-graduate year.