Interlochen's six-week piano summer program is for highly motivated pianists who aspire to study piano at the college or conservatory level. Piano students will be surrounded by dedicated peers, faculty and guest artists as they improve their knowledge and abilities through daily literature classes, master classes, studio classes and performance classes. Students will receive college-level instruction while focusing on solo piano literature and development of their collaborative performance skills. In this supportive community of artists, students practice on one of hundreds of pianos on the Interlochen campus.
This six-week program includes:
- Weekly private lessons with a member of the distinguished piano faculty.
- Daily classes provide opportunities for piano majors to interact in a performance class, a group lesson, a studio class or a master class with faculty or guest artists. This class may also cover special topics such as early keyboard instruments, musician wellness and performance anxiety.
- Students have a variety of collaborative and solo performance opportunities. Collaborative experiences include chamber music with strings or winds, vocal and instrumental duos, performing as a member of a large ensemble, and a chance to develop the necessary sight-reading skills.
- Optional organ lessons are available to piano majors. Participating students receive a weekly organ lesson in addition to piano lessons. In place of collaborative piano, these students take music theory and participate in a daily organ seminar, which includes studio class, master classes, coached practicing and church-service playing practice. Organ students practice on one of nine practice instruments located in the organ building or on the 50-rank Reuter located in Dendrinos Chapel.
- Dedicated practice time is available.
- Elective options for piano majors include: Piano Seminar, Beginning Organ, Beginning Jazz Piano or Piano Pedagogy 101. Additional electives may be available.
How to Apply
- Prepare the audition materials listed below.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your audition materials online.
Audio or video files #1 and #2: Choose two representative solo works of contrasting style, demonstrating tone, technical facility and interpretation.
Interlochen offers a separate concerto competition for High School and Intermediate divisions. Winners in the High School division will perform with one of the division’s orchestras or wind symphony. Concerto competition details >>
Jazz pianists are invited to apply for the three-week high school jazz summer program.
Students with an interest in organ are also invited to apply for the six-week high school organ summer program. Inexperienced organists with a strong piano background are welcome to apply.
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a piano major for grades 9-12, as well as a post-graduate year.