How to Apply:
The priority application date is February 15, 2013.
Audio or video file #1: A jazz etude, transcription, or selection from a big band chart to demonstrate style, technique, tone, intonation, range, flexibility, musicianship.
Audio or video file #2: A ballad to demonstrate tone, expressiveness and control. No longer than one chorus.
Audio or video file #3: Improvisation (optional). Play the head and solo on a jazz standard and a blues. Recordings may be submitted with either a live group or with a jazz play-a-long. Brass players interested in learning improvisational skills are encouraged to apply.
Audio or video file #4: Containing the following selections, according to your instrument:
- D and F Major scales, two octaves
- D Harmonic minor, two octaves; G Harmonic minor, one octave
- Chromatic scale full range
- Chromatic scale, low F# to high C
- Bb and A major scales
- B Harmonic minor scale, two octaves; E Harmonic minor scale, one octave
- Chromatic scale from lowest possible note to highest possible note
- Bb and G Major scales, two octaves
- A and E Harmonic minor scales, two octaves
- C and Bb Major, 2 hands, 4 octaves up and down
- A and G Minor scales (Dorian or natural minor), 2 hands, 4 octaves
- Chromatic scale, 4 octaves
- Blues scales in F, C or Bb
- Melody and chords to a jazz tune of your choice