Interlochen's six-week harp program is for motivated students seeking comprehensive individual and ensemble training. Students work with world-renowned conductors, teachers and guest artists in private lessons, studio classes and harp ensemble. Students have opportunities to perform as soloists, in small groups and with large ensembles. The program emphasizes quality, personal growth and the joy of playing with a group of outstanding fellow musicians.
Students in the six-week summer harp program participate in the following:
- Orchestra and wind ensemble rehearsals and performances. Interlochen has two high school orchestras and one high school wind ensemble. The World Youth Symphony Orchestra (watch video) and Interlochen Philharmonic are the country’s leading orchestral experiences for advanced high school students. The faculty includes preeminent instructors who have extensive experience with major symphony orchestras. Repertoire is chosen from traditional and contemporary masterpieces as well as other influential genres. The orchestra programs regularly feature some of the greatest artists in the world. Recent guest soloists include Yo-Yo Ma, Jennifer Koh, Joshua Bell, Awadagin Pratt and many more. The World Youth Wind Symphony is the most advanced high school summer band experience available in the country.
- Harp ensemble takes place during a daily, two-hour class and focuses on the skills, art and joy of chamber music through harp ensemble repertoire. Studio classes will also occur at this time, with opportunities for performance, practice, discussion of practice methods and occasional guest appearances.
- Private lessons with a highly educated and experienced harp faculty.
- One elective class is required; one additional elective is optional (view list)
- Video file #1: One movement from a piece on the suggested audition repertoire list below, or a piece of comparable difficulty. Piano accompaniment is optional.
- Video file #2: Choose another piece, demonstrating contrasting style and the applicant’s versatility.
- Video file #3: One major and one minor scale, 4 octaves, hands together.
Suggested Audition Repertoire
- Debussy – First Arabesque; Claire de Lune; Danses Sacrée et Profane
- Dussek – Sonata in C minor
- Grandjany – Fantasie on a theme of Haydn
- Pierne – Impromptu Caprice
- Pescetti – Sonata in C minor
- Salzedo – Suite of Eight Dances
- Haydn/Salzedo - Variations on a Theme of Haydn
- Salzedo - Suite of Eight Dances
Applicants who excel at the harp and apply by February 1, 2014, are automatically considered for the Emerson Scholars Program, which offers a number of full-tuition scholarships. Other need-based and merit-based financial aid is also available.
Interlochen offers a separate concerto competition for High School and Intermediate divisions. Winners in the High School division will perform with one of the division’s orchestras or wind symphony. Concerto competition details >>
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a harp major for grades 9-12, as well as a post-graduate year.