The cello institute brings together motivated students for a week of intensive study with accomplished artist-teachers who have a diverse background of skills and experience. The seminar ends with a concert of selected student soloists and cello ensemble.
- Daily master classes focus on a wide range of essential cello techniques
- Performance classes
- Improvisation classes
- Career seminars
- Cello ensemble rehearsals and performance
- Orchestral excerpt classes and mock audition
- Opportunities for private instruction
How to Apply
- Prepare the audition materials listed below.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your audition materials online.
Select and record two of the following:
- One movement of a standard concerto
- One movement of a Bach Suite
- A Popper Etude (High School of Cello Playing)
Students interested in a multi-week, ensemble-based program are invited to also apply to the high school summer orchestra program, which begins immediately after this one-week institute.
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a cello major for grades 9-12, as well as a post-graduate year.
Instructor of Cello, Interlochen Arts Academy and Interlochen Cello Institute
Faculty at Interlochen Arts Academy & Filarmonica Joven de Colombia; cellist, Neptune Quartet
Instructor of Cello, Interlochen Arts Camp
Professor of Cello/Chamber Music at Eastern Washington University and Principal Cellist with the Spokane Symphony Orchestra
Valade Fellow, Instructor of Cello, Interlochen Arts Camp
Professor of Cello, University of Massachusetts, Amherst and the Hartt School of Music; soloist, chamber musician and former cellist, Lark Quartet