In the three-week animation summer program, students learn the foundations of animation through a variety of hands-on experiences, demonstrations and exercises in storyboarding, digital animation, stop-motion and animation history.
Classes and lecture topics include:
- digital animation
- stop-motion/cel animation
- storyboarding for animators
- animation history
All fully completed works are featured in an end-of-camp showcase in the DeRoy Center for Film Studies state-of-the-art projection space.
Due to the focused nature of the Animation program, students will not have an opportunity to take electives
Students may bring their own laptops for practice during their free hours. Students' cameras and laptops will not be used for daily location production or editing motion picture arts projects, but students' equipment allows for individual practice of skills learned in class.
How to Apply
- Prepare the materials listed below.
- Complete the online application.
- Submit your audition materials online.
PDF file: Personal essay detailing your interest in filmmaking and what inspired your application to Interlochen.
AND one of the following work samples:
- PDF file: 5-page sample screenplay
- PDF file: 5 pages of short fiction
- Image files: 5 still images of visual arts (drawings, paintings, sculptures, etc.)
- Video file: Short video/film or animation
Interlochen also offers the following summer programs, which may be of interest:
Interlochen is also home to the Arts Academy boarding high school, which offers a motion picture arts major for grades 9-12, as well as a post-graduate year.